Reducing rubbish with an active lifestyle

So usually I pop out the odd post here and there about races I'm doing or big changes in life, so it's fair to say that this one's a bit of a departure from the norm. However, it's something I'm increasingly conscious of, and that's the waste we produce, and how we can minimise it. Both as athletes and humans.

Now before I start, I know that in the grand scheme of things, there are much bigger perpetrators in this war on climate change. Corporations and governments absolutely have the lion's share of the responsibility and blame for the policies and actions that have the strength to truly turn the tide on this struggle. That's why we should be active in this sphere too, if possible. We can do that by signing petitions, holding MPs accountable, and publically supporting those politicians and organisations going out there and tackling these challenges head on. 

Nonetheless, that doesn't aquit us from doing what we can too. I passionately believe that. That's why, always willing to learn more, I put a call out to instagram for tips and tricks on minimising waste - and damn, they came up with the goods! So I thought it was easiest to pop them down in a blogpost for anyone interested. Although not all necessarily sports specific, they're definitely applicable to the classic time-pressed lifestyle most of us as endurance athletes tend to land up in. So here we go! :)

1. Nutrition: Make your own fuel
Like always - I'm starting with food. What else!? One of the easiest way to cut right back on rubbish created is to make our own fuel for when we're out about about training and exploring the world around us. There are so many great resources available now that regardless of your taste or preference, you're sure to find something you like! 
If you want some ideas, you can check out books like: Feed Zone Portables or Cook Fast. Run Fast. Eat Slow.
Or head to blogs like fellow triathlete Sophie Kirk's - a top age-grouper with aspirations of going pro, she knows a thing or two about fuelling.
Variety of energy balls held in the palm of the hand, with flowers in the background.
Sophie's Energy Balls look absolutely fab! (Photo courtesy of Sophie, of course!)

2. ...Not a cook? Look at alternatives!
Whilst a lot of these recipes are dead simple, often not even requiring an oven, sometimes, I know we just don't have the time or energy for it! If this is you, check out alternatives like Lucho Dillitos. A guava block, wrapped in a leaf, you can wave goodbye to plastic sticky gel wrappers. 
Or, if you're really sold on a particular type of nutrition, then look at making an ecobrick. 

Ecobricks are an amazing way of diverting plastic from landfill. Just make sure you clean your plastic when you're making one of these!

Me, snacking on Lucho at the top of Monte Grappa, Italy!


3. Whilst you're at it - why not make your own sports drinks!
There are so many alternatives now to buying plastic bottles of sportdrinks. From powders to dissolvable tablets. However, what goes in is actually very simple, so really - there's nothing stopping you from making your own from scratch, either. Take a look at Forth Edge's recipe if you're interested.

4. And if your bidons are grimy?
Refilling bidons in Switzerland!
Use a baby bottle cleaner like "Milton" to sort them out! The credits for this one goes to my mum, actually. She showed me how simple it is! You just dilute according to the instructions and put your bottles into soak, and hey presto: good as new, and sanitary too. It's good to do this regularly actually - because bacteria has a habit of lurking in warm damp places like the bottom of bottles and bottlecaps. 

5. Swap out shampoo liquid for bars
This is one I've done myself for a while now, and haven't looked back. Shampoo bars are brilliant, and are constantly improving in quality. Super handy for travelling and being on the go, and using so much less plastic, they're honestly a winner in every respect. There's a few different types available - my favourites come from Lush or Grüum.  

6. Actually repair those old inner tubes
As a kid I have lots of memories of watching my dad running inner tubes through a bucket of water to find the offending puncture! It's really easy to do on a sunny afternoon or with a podcast - so check out a youtube video, grab yourself a puncture repair kit and get stuck in.

7. Or repurpose the inner tubes for other things!
A new one on me: but a trusty source has really opened me up to the possiblities of re-crafting, or upcycling old chains, inner tubes and other bike parts. So if you're getting through inners like they're going out of fashion, why not give it a go? I'd be fascinated to see what you can come up with.
I've even heard its possible to use them for handlebar tape. Just make sure you give them a good clean, and like regular tape - use them with gloves to prevent sweat from ruining them too fast!

8. Recycle old race t-shirts into a blanket
You might have seen it on social media, and it looks fabulous! Once you've been racing for a while, the race shirts begin to stack up, and if we're honest with ourselves - most of them probably see very little use. However, they hold many happy memories and stories, so why not get them repurposed into a blanket or throw? Then you'll never be short of a topic for conversation when you have people round, either! ;) You can make this yourself if you're crafty (instructions here!), or you can actually commission one nowadays!

9. Share the love: clear out old sports stash
If you're honest with yourself, I bet the sports kit collection could do with a little decluttering, right? Well take the opportunity to pass on some kit to people newer to the sport, or even sell on local marketplace pages or depop. This not only helps nurture a second hand market, reducing the amount bought from new, but you will likely also be helping to make sport more accessible too. Win-win!

10. Ecoballs & alternative cleaning products
Finally - the most sport tenuous of them all, but it's what started me thinking a blog might be good so here we go! Ecoballs are fantastic things, filled with beads that allow you to do away with laundry detergent. I know some of you have reservations on this one, but rest assured it works. These things last for hundreds and hundreds of washes. So although they cost around £20 to begin with, they very quickly pay for themselves.
Similarly, before you start paying out for cleaners here there and everywhere, take a look on a site like Cleanipedia for household alternatives. I learnt a while ago now that limescale can be cleaned with household vinegar, for example! Such a revelation. Cleaner kettle for those post long run brews... There you go, I told you it was tenuous! ;)

I hope this helps with ideas for small changes we can all start introducing into our lives. I know I'm constantly on the look out for new swaps I can make, so do let me know if you have anything to add!



July 7, 2020
1

Comments

  1. Great ideas Gal! Totally getting some Milton for my bottles, they stink!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Search

Recent Comments

Contact Me