361° KGM2 2 trainers: A review

*Note: I was provided with these trainers free of charge, but all views in this post are 100% my own!*


For a while now, I have been fortunate to be a member of the 361° family in the form of an ambassador, which has brought me so much more than I could ever have dreamed of in terms of a wonderfully inspiring and encouraging community, not to mention an outstanding line of trainers to keep me on the road!

I had been eyeing up the KgM2 2 trainers for a while now - ever since spotting them on the blue carpet, waiting for Katie Zaferes (current triathlon world championship leader) to fly onto the run course with in Rotterdam last year. So when 361° offered to send me some racing flats to support me to compete at my absolute best, I jumped at the chance to get my hands on these shoes. Now don't get me wrong - I could never hope to reach the lofty heights of sub-30 min 10km, but I do like to know that I have done everything within my power to reach my potential. After all, every little counts!

And BOY, these are little (193g - if you're into the details). In fact, they're so light, that when I picked them up from the mail room, nobody actually believed there could be a pair trainers in my parcel. However, upon opening, I can assure you, there was most certainly an extremely flash looking pair of trainers within that box. To be honest, I've never been one to be too fussed about the look or colour of trainers - I'm much more interested about whether they will help me find that all elusive PB, but even I had to admit that the sky blue and pink was pretty darn snazzy, and they clearly mean business. (Side note, they come in an orange and yellow too - if you're not into the pink that tends to be the Marmite of the colour spectrum for many women!)

Of course I immediately had to try them on, and whilst bouncing around the office, first impressions were very promising. The ever present 361° Qu!CKFOAM meant they had their signature soft and fast feel that I love about the brand, and my feet felt stable in the shoes. The tongue of the shoe is quite thin compared to my other shoes, but I didn't find that to be a problem once in place. In terms of sizing, it's worth mentioning that they do run on the smaller side, but then that is to be expected I suppose, for a fast racing shoe, and I didn't find them to be uncomfortable once I got used to how they felt.

Following my first impressions, I could not wait to hit the road with them for a proper test ride - though being designed more for the shorter/racing distances, I also wanted to unleash them at just the right time, to see them at their best. Fortunately for me, there was a 5km race in Maastricht, the Netherlands, on the cards. It promised to be the perfect combination of fast and technical to really test the mettle of these shoes. The race really did have everything - steep staircases, sharp descents, and a solid finishing sprint, not to mention a slick road surface thanks the water hoses helping us battle the epic European heat wave. Toeing the start line, I was twitching with anticipation at what these shoes might have to offer me. I was not disappointed. They were fast, they were responsive, and I felt in total control. They had just enough cushioning to ensure I didn't feel every cobble shudder through me as I pounded the pavement, but at the same time, they were light - and they were FAST. I had never really experienced the "feather light" feeling of shoes before, but now it's safe to say I have found the one. I can see these shoes being my secret weapon for racing and hard interval sessions for the foreseeable future now - having put them through their paces on both a flat out 5km, and an undulating interval set, so far they have withstood everything I have thrown at them with ease. I can't wait to see what they will be capable of just as soon as I have threaded in my elastic laces, and add them to my arsenal for the last big A races I have left in my season. PBs, I'm coming for you!


*Shoes are the 361-KGM2-2 from 361 Europe*
product testing
August 9, 2018
0

Comments

Search

Recent Comments

Contact Me