Hampton Pool Triathlon: Balmy swims, bike battles, and 3km run stitch!

Hampton Pool Triathlon - a race that would probably be more suitably named as: how crazy people spend a bank holiday... Alarms blaring at 4AM on the August bank holiday left us momentarily questioning everything, it has to be said.


However, this race was planned as a "training race" - namely, a race targeted at ironing out any kinks, and identifying any potential issues ahead of World Champs in Rotterdam in 3 weeks' time. So in summary fairly important for the old training, but low stakes in terms of targeted outcome. I knew that this was not going to be the performance of my life, considering there had been no taper whatsoever. With a full volume of training going into the race, without a rest day, It's fair to say my body was not happy with me!


For this race, excitingly, we had company. And boy did they deliver- racing with pals is definitely where it's at: unbeatable support, lots of laughs to distract nerves, and a bigger pool of spare kit for the inevitable forgetful nature of a certain athlete...(spoiler, it's me!)


Exhibit A: Real life racing buddies! <3


So,back to business. I'll admit, I was excited for this race. No open water swim! This is the dream for me. It meant no recurring nightmares the night before of being swept away to sea never to be seen again (classic MLK)... I was not disappointed. The pool at Hampton is THE DREAM. Outdoors, heated, and a beautiful 36M long.(caveat: you try counting metres in that!) Upon arrival, banter and chat flew around like only Little Sis (Lon) can deliver. She soon had us fearing the portaloos, painting an all too realistic picture of what would happen if they tumbled over whilst you made your pre-race visit there.. I know, what a lovely thought!


Racking and registration a breeze, we were swiftly lined up along the pool ready to go. As we were all spread out throughout the starting order, this was the point where I found myself alone for the first time. One minute before entry, I first thought about race tactics...with nothing better coming to mind, I could only come to the conclusion I should start fast, keep fast, and finish fast. I KNOW. Technical right!?

Suddenly, I was in the pool with the five second countdown being hollered down on me from above. Head down, I pushed off hard. Stroke, stroke,stroke, turn, push, stroke, next lane - snaking across the pool, shaking off the nerves. Before I knew it, 432M were under the belt, and I was running headlong towards my new trusty steed, Oliviana. (She's a beaut, by the way.)
Image result for Hampton pool
Hampton pool on a quieter day! (Credit: TripAdvisor)

Now I have been working HARD on my cycling. This course promised a fast time- flat, out and back, not too many corners, a stomping ground I am familiar with. Safe in this knowledge, I had my mind set on cranking out a strong performance, settling into a steady rhythm. However, this was not to be. Out of nowhere, the athlete behind me flew past, and competitive MLK kicked in..thus started a 21.5km game of cat and mouse. It must have been hilarious to any onlooker- one strong looking man on an expensive TT bike, one lanky, slightly clueless girl bobbing along giving him a run for his money. As the race was draft illegal, it truly turned it an on-going battle, as each of us gave it all the beans to get out of the draft zone in time, before trying to settle into a rhythm, before being overtaken by the other again.
Now, it might sound like I'm complaining. Please rest assured- I am not. I produced a LIFETIME personal best on that course! I averaged 33.5kph - for perspective, I had previously only scraped 30kph over this sort of distance. I am stoked- all is not lost! I have cycling legs. Dad is proud- sending us to school on a tandem for 7 years FINALLY paid off.

Anyhow, I digress. Bike coming to a close, we headed into the most unusual, yet most luxurious quirk I have experienced in a race. A 7 minute non-compete zone. Yes, 7 minutes of blissful, untimed recovery between the bike and the run. And trust me, after the tank-emptying mission that was the bike, you'd better know I needed it! Dropping down into an easy spin to make my way to transition, it was amazing the number of people who simply couldn't get their head around this idea, and continued to empty their tank. You should know I was most effective here, and took 6:47 of my 7 minutes. Recovery is a big deal people!
Image result for bushy park
Bushy Park: the dreamy run setting (credit: Wikipedia)
Hitting back into the run as the clock restarted to enter transition, I managed an uneventful transition- slipping into my brand new neon yellow 361˚ Trainers that I have had the privilege to trial over the last few months. For once, my pacing was strong. Not my fastest, but consistent, at least. Running through Busy Park was a delight, as always, and it is hard not to get distracted by the deer- even whilst racing. However, at 3km into the run- stitch hit. Not just the slightly uncomfortable kind, but the doubled over "how am I even going to survive this" kind. It was a horror, I tell you. However, I would not let this beat me. I forged on, slowing my pace to what felt like a crawl in order not to be overcome by it. Then, as soon as it eased, foot straight back on the gas, I jumped straight back to my original pace, completing my 5km in 23 minutes- a good 90 seconds off target, but considering the fatigue and the stitch, it's something I'll accept.


Upon finishing, I got to cheer the rest of the squad in- where strong performances were found all round. Although I dare you to ask little sis how much I beat her by...she isn't the least bitter.. ;) (P.S it was 19 seconds)
Can you guess we're related..? (and a little bit barmy..)


In summary, the tactic of start fast, keep fast, finish fast worked, sort of. I have definitely found some weaknesses (they're a secret though, sorry!) - and they will be worked on, as planned. In the mean time though, it's over and out - back to the final short block before the ultimate "A" race of the year: World Championships in Rotterdam. Eeek! #PrayforMLK
London
September 4, 2017
0

Comments

Search

Recent Comments

Contact Me