The European Duathlon Championships in Spain have been my biggest race to date, and boy did my nerves know it! I am fairly certain the palpitations took off with me from Heathrow, and didn't leave until the gun fired the start of the race. This was not helped by the fact that once I arrived I quickly realised that this was not the sunny Spain one would probably envision, but rather a windy, desolate town at over 1,000m of elevation, with the temperature at times hovering around freezing. I could have sworn the air was thinner at that height! Although I'm reliably told it shouldn't make an impact...
The weekend was a whirlwind of check-ins, recces, and intimidating athletes- in which I have lost count of the number of times I swore blind I'm never racing at this level again! However, fortunately for me, Mother Kertzman who came for the ride, diligently ferried me around, sorted out the vital things I forgot - (thanks Decathlon, we'd have been lost without you!)- and fed and watered me like I'd been living in the desert for months.
Thanks to her keeping me so well watered and rested, I arrived on Sunday morning (early!) with that bizarre taper feeling, where the sudden wind down in training and movement leaves you convinced you've forgotten how to run and cycle! However, as we neared the start line, an expertly phrased pep talk (again, courtesy of Mumma K) left me pumped and in the zone, in a way I have never really experienced- For once, I was in a place where I truly believed I deserved my race. Having said that, rather than jostle for a position in the front of the pack, especially as this was my first big race, I decided to hang back and chat with fellow competitors whilst in the holding pen. This was great for my nerves, and left me in the mindset that I would cling on to the back, enjoy the ride, and use this to gain experience to come forward in future races and work my way up.
![]() |
| The pre-race gossip - a vital part of every race, I swear |
However, as the gun sounded, and we were off, my legs fired into action like never before. The start was narrow, and there was jostling all round as a hoarding had flown off in the wind (told you it was windy!), and further blocked our paths. Nonetheless, it quickly became apparent that the taper had worked. The up and down run course didn't phase me, and stealing a glance at my Garmin, I was almost terrified at my pace. It was too quick! I was on for a lifetime 5km PB, let alone as part of a multisport race! However, at the same time, I felt amazing. The best I've ever felt in a race. So I took a deep breath and sped up, naturally- taking in the shouts of Mum- who by the way, deserves an award for the number of times she managed to pop up on the course to cheer me- she must have run her own race in the process!
All of a sudden, the run was done. In the frenzy of transition, I spotted a Spanish girl next to me whose name I recognised to be in my category. Was it really possible that I could be within touching distance of someone!? This was NOT in the race plan. Amazing! She sped out of transition a couple seconds ahead of me, and with new resolve I hopped on the bike to hunt this girl down. However, she had clearly clocked me too, because suddenly she put in all the power. This being a non-drafting race, it becomes difficult then to get close, because you have to commit to overtaking. So I played a slightly longer game, and waited until the first hill- my strength, where I took the downhill hard and sped past her on the ascent. I didn't see her again.
The undulating and windy course was testing technically. The hills themselves were not bothersome- I love the burn, and I always find myself taking people on them. However, the exposed nature of the course meant side winds, and headwinds for that matter, were terrifying at times! It took a great deal of guts and mind talks to get through those parts without slowing down, however, with my head down, and my mind in the right place, I managed to overtake a steady stream of riders throughout the whole course. In my head however, I was still at the back of the pack- classic MLK!
Into transition then, and onto the run for a final 2,5km up and down slog. By this point, I knew I'd put in my best effort right since the starting klaxon, so was determined to carry on this streak. Again, with mum's ever present shouting, and Garmin checking proving that my times were way faster than either of us had honestly dared hope for. Up and down winding through the park, and suddenly the course cut off- sooner than expected! Amazing! So the downhill came, and I managed to find the power for a sprint finish.
Met by mum in the finishing pen, she told me to check results, because she thought I'd clinched myself an age-group bronze. To which I immediately responded that she must have gone mad!! This was my first ever European Championships- I'd come for the ride, not for medals! The results came up, and indeed, I was showing as 3rd. Still not convinced, I helpfully found an organiser to let him know they'd made a mistake with the results. This is how convinced I was that I could not have won bronze. However, adjustments were made, and corrections put in place- as is so often the way, but I remained in Bronze...?! To say I was ecstatic would be an understatement. This was miles above what I had even dreamed to hope of, and although I may have got off lightly by still sitting in the 20-24 category, and although I know I still have many, many things to work on- it has buoyed my motivation, and can only hope this lasts for some time to come.
Who knows, maybe this won't be my last GB race after all....
related posts
duathlon
June 28, 2017
0



Comments
Post a Comment